At the time I was working in foster care and the local government areas of concern meant we couldn’t leave our 5km radius. I was one of the last ones to get the jab and held off as long as possible.
I wasn’t really aware of what was going on at that stage. I knew something was off with the segregation, seeing what was happening in Bondi, but at the time it wasn’t very clear. I ended up getting the jab due to the ever-mounting pressure of the government and the work mandates.
I got the Pfizer vaccine on the 12th August 2021. Later that night I started experiencing heavy brain fog and headaches which knocked me out for three days. I didn’t really think anything of it after that and continued with life as normal, but I did notice I felt different and have never felt the same ever since.
I didn’t want to get the second vaccination but my work mandated it and I wasn’t in a position to be able to lose my job, due to having a house and family to pay for.
I got my second vaccination on September 16th 2021. Later that night I had the shakes and chills from a fever, heart palpitations and sharp stabbing pains in my heart. I couldn’t breathe. I was also vomiting and had body aches and pains.
The next morning, I called the ambulance and they came to my house. They did an ECG. My heart was okay. They then gave me aspirin and calmed me down. I took a couple of days to recover and then felt fine.
I went on with life as usual again and then found out that I was eight weeks pregnant. Later that week I started spotting, which was a bit unusual, so I went for blood tests, which indicated I was pregnant. My hormone levels were also rising as normal when being pregnant.
On the 23rd September 2021, I went to the woman’s health clinic because I wouldn’t stop bleeding. They did an ultrasound and the nurse told me they couldn’t find the baby in the sack.
She told me there was 99% chance of miscarriage and 1% chance of ectopic pregnancy.
She said to me that if it was an ectopic pregnancy, it could be fatal and if I had any pain, I needed to go straight to the hospital.
That night I started getting really sharp pains in my abdomen, which made me pass out and upon waking up I would start vomiting. My husband called the ambulance twice. Both times, they said they couldn’t pick me up because they were too busy with COVID cases and I was living in an area of concern. They told my husband if I pass out and stop breathing to call back. I couldn’t believe it!
My husband put me in the car and drove me to Campbelltown Hospital. On the way I passed out.
I thought I’d died when I arrived at the hospital. They put me in a wheelchair and took me to the emergency department. I sat there for 45 minutes without getting any attention at all. I was literally screaming the whole time in pain. They gave me some morphine, but the pain was so severe and persistent. I was passing in and out of consciousness and vomiting.
Finally someone arrived and said they could give me a routine ultrasound in the emergency department, but that the diagnostic ultrasound would not be available until 10.30am the following morning.
During the routine ultrasound they couldn’t diagnose an ectopic pregnancy and two hours on I was still screaming in pain. I managed to get a bed in the ward, but my husband wasn’t allowed to come with me. I was literally dying and I was alone, hysterically crying and in severe pain, not knowing what was about to happen to me.
They transferred me to another ward upstairs. It was full. Twenty people, all separated by a curtain not even 1.5m apart. I was thinking to myself, how is this COVID safe?
I have private health insurance, so I asked if I could have a private room. The nurse laughed and said it was for the COVID patients. At that point I demanded to see a doctor. They gave me more morphine, but the pain was getting worse and worse. I told her I know my body and it felt like something was going to explode inside me and I was fading away. I was literally dying. I’ll never forget, when without a care, she told me I needed to wait until 10.30am the next morning.
She left and I passed out. When I came back to consciousness again I was pressing the call button, but no one was coming. I suddenly felt something explode in my abdomen. I managed to get myself up, open the curtain and in extreme pain walked out screaming for a doctor to take me to emergency to open me up. I felt like something had exploded inside and I was dying.
They told me to stop screaming and that I was being a nuisance and to get back into bed. Feeling so defeated and with nothing left in me, I got back into bed and waited in excruciating pain until 10.30am in the morning. Finally I was taken to the sonography department and I’ll never forget the doctors face when he placed the ultrasound over my abdomen.
He looked at the nurse and said, “Get the theatre ready quickly, take her now!”
These were the notes:
‘An ultrasound was performed on the 24th September 2021. Increasing abdominal pain revealing left sided hematoma and free fluid in the pelvis, revealing left sided tubal abortion/ectopic pregnancy with 800ml of blood free flowing into the pelvis.’
I was rushed to theatre and put under. When I woke up, the doctor explained they had removed my left fallopian tube. No longer being in severe pain and being able to think critically, I became furious at the doctors, for the negligence I had experienced.
I lost a fallopian tube because of their sheer negligence. Not only that, it could have been fatal, but I was told that COVID patients were more important than my life. I pay $450 a month on private health for my family and this is the treatment I received.
I asked if they could transfer me to another hospital due to the negligence. They said that all the other hospitals were full and discharged me from hospital that day. My haemoglobin levels were at 86.
At home I couldn’t breathe for weeks. I was so fatigued I decided to go for a blood test. My haemoglobin levels were still low at 96. The doctor told me to take supplements and to book an iron infusion. I was never able to get one, from any GP, in the four weeks I tried.
Four weeks later is today and I’ve now got COVID, which to me feels like a synthetic flu. It’s a long road to recovery, but I’m getting through it fine. I’ve now almost completed my isolation, just in time to hit the streets on Sunday, for the ‘Protect our Children’ protest.